Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Going Greek

I tried Greek yogurt for the first time yesterday!



This is especially significant because I haven't eaten yogurt in over five years. 

I know that's a little strange, so let me explain: I've been a vegetarian for about eight years, since I was twelve. When I was fourteen, I was inspired by a friend to go vegan for a brief stint. That didn't last but what came out of it is that I stopped eating dairy altogether for a number of years. I was never a huge dairy fan--I'd already preferred soymilk to cow's milk, for instance--so giving it up was no big deal. Eventually I re-introduced some dairy back into my diet--namely ice cream and a few types of cheese--but I could never bring myself to eat yogurt--something about the texture and live bacteria inside freaked me out.

I've been trying to muster up the courage to try Greek yogurt for a long time now. The nutrition stats are amazing, it's a super-convenient breakfast or snack, and it would be a healthier and cheaper alternative to my beloved yogiberry.

I finally decided that it was time to go for it. First decision: what fat content? Fat-free seems to defeat my point of exploring a new source of healthy fat, yet the whole yogurt has twice the calories which seems like overkill. I decided to go with 2% Chobani--maybe next time I'll try 4%.

I stirred up a cup of yogurt with blueberries, sliced strawberries, and frozen raspberries and popped it in the freezer for a more yogiberry-like consistency.

The verdict? Delicious!!! It was pretty tart but I prefer that to overly sugary. I ate the container in two days and will be definitely buying more, and maybe some individual serving cups as well.

Question: (as if anyone reads this) What is your favorite brand of Greek yogurt? What fat content do you buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment