Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Camera Woes and Wednesday Workout

I am horrible at blogging.

Actually, scratch that. I am horrible at taking pictures.

I was camera-less for almost 2 years after, um, a smashed-camera incident one night freshman year. My old camera was a Canon powershot and I loved it. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. (I am the worst procrastinator at buying technology stuff I need--when my laptop battery died it took me TEN MONTHS to buy a new one during which time I had to carry the extension cord around everywhere).

I really like the Nikon Coolpix S4000 with a touch screen and spend forever trying to find it. But when I finally got it I was pretty disappointed. The touch screen is hard to use, and the picture quality seemed poor. Granted, I may just have it on the wrong lighting settings, but I wouldn't know because I have the language set in Dutch and can't figure out how to get it back to English.

Can you tell I am terrible at technology?

Anyway, I think I am going to return it and get the Nikon Coolpix S3000, which I think will be easier to use plus it's smaller and a little bit cheaper. I want to take care of that before Saturday because I'm going to Shamrockfest with two of my friends from high school who are back on spring break, and I want pictures!

In the meantime, since I don't have any pictures I thought I'd post my workout from tonight:

Part 1: 60 minutes legs (each exercise 15 reps x 3 sets)

  • Leg press: 45 lb each side
  • Circuit of squats, hamstring deadlifts, and lunges: 15 lb dumbbells
  • Hack squat: 45 lb each side
  • Leg extension: (setting 3)
  • Sumo squat: 20 lb dumbbell
  • Squats on power rack: 17.5 lb each side
  • Inner thigh abductor: (setting 6)
  • Outer thigh abductor: (setting 5)
  • One-leg hamstring deadlift: 15 lb dumbbells
Part 2: 30 minutes elliptical (alternating between resistance level 15 and 10)

Part 3: 15 minutes abs
  • Circuit One (x3): 60 seconds plank, 60 seconds right side plank, 60 seconds left plank, 10 double leg lifts
  • Circuit Two (x3): 15 crunches with 10 lb weight, 15 twists with 10 lb weight & legs off floor
Part 4: 15 minutes treadmill interval workout
  • 0-1: 7.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 1-2: 7.5 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 2-3: 8.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 3-4: 8.5 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 4-6: 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 6-7: 8.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 7-8: 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 8-9: 8.5 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 9-10: 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 10-11: 9.0 mph , 1.0 incline
  • 11-12: 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline
  • 12-13: 3.5 mph, 1.5 incline
  • 13-14: 3.0 mph, 2.0 incline
  • 14-15: 2.0 mph, 2.0 incline
That workout felt amazing! It was a little longer than usual, but I hadn't lifted since Friday and hadn't exercised at all since Sunday. Writing down part 1 took me forever because I don't know the names of any machines. I tend to call them things like "lie-down leg-pusher," which actually isn't much different from the real names. It's good to know what they're called though.

I wasn't planning on doing an interval workout but once I added it in I was so glad I did. I listened to "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones which is the BEST running song and the perfect length to get me through the first four minutes of straight running--exactly 0.5 mile. Then I listened to "Money for Nothing" by the Dire Straits, another favorite workout song. I am working on adding more HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) into my workouts. I am convinced it is more effective and efficient than just spending hours on the elliptical, as I am sometimes guilty of doing.

After I got off the treadmill I felt like I was going to throw up. Call me crazy but I think that's the sign of a good workout! Maybe I just watch too much Biggest Loser because contestants are always puking during the workouts, and Bob and Jillian are cheering them on. When I ran cross-country and track during high school it was inevitable that someone would throw up during our hard-core workouts, but I never did. I always stopped when I felt sick rather than push myself to the next level. 

For my imaginary readers: have you ever thrown up while exercising? Do you see it as a good thing?






No comments:

Post a Comment